Friday, June 27, 2014

Above all else... Guard your heart...


I stumbled across this picture on Pinterest last night… It was perfect for the week I have been having at work and in my personal life.

The Lord showed me that I need to guard my heart… but that doesn’t mean seal it up and keep it protected so nothing can come in and cause damage. When I think of guarding my heart, I picture a soldier standing guard… not allowing anyone to enter. I don’t think this is what the Lord is meaning in this verse. I believe He wants us guard how our hearts react to those things that happen around us. He wants us to keep our hearts in check, to constantly tend to it, weeding out any sin or darkness that may be lurking there. He isn’t saying lock it up – he wants our hearts to open to Him and to those around us – but to make sure our hearts aren’t harboring hurt, bitterness, or sinful desires. Just like the second part of the verse says, everything we do flows through our hearts. Our motivations, our words, our actions are all bred from what is inside of us. If our hearts are right with God and with those around us, then purity, love, and kindness will flow freely from us. If our heart is overcome with sadness, bitterness, and anger then mean words, harsh tones, and hurtful actions will come out.

Look deep into yourself. Look at what you are saying and doing. Is this a reflection of the strength and love that you have received from the Lord? Or is it a murky, dirty reflection of your flesh?

Mine hasn’t been the prettiest over the last two days. I let my guard down and allowed anger and bitterness about so many things take root in my heart. How I choose to react to things that happen in my life, or things that people say and do is MY decision, and I am at fault when I allow those things to control my mouth and my actions.  I’m not perfect – but it is up to me to protect and nurture good things in my life and in my heart. The Lord desires that for each and every one of us. We have to turn to Him in ALL things, because without His love and His strength, we can’t stop these things from taking over our hearts and our lives.

One last thing: encouraging words and good deeds that come from a heart that is not full of the love of the Lord are not good for anything. Take a look at 1 Corinthians 13.

So be wary, my friend, be on guard. Keep your heart focused on what is true, what is pure, and what is lovely. A heart that is truly full of the Lord will overflow with a sweet spring that will water and encourage any one that it is in contact with.

So… how is your heart today?

Diving Deeper,

Melissa

"Summing it all up, friends, I’d say you’ll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies." (Philippians 4:8-9, The Message)

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you." (Philippians 4:8-9, ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment